The CIIT is committed to play a multidimensional role in the development of individuals and society by graduating motivated, highly skilled, and highly educated graduates. To advance knowledge and enhance educational process, CIIT strives to become publicly recognized, far reaching center of excellence in science, technology, and management education, comparable in standard to the very best in the world. In recent years it has become an obligation that institutions of higher education demonstrate the effectiveness of their academic programs in providing high quality education that positively impacts students. Furthermore, most accrediting bodies and others concerned with quality assurance are requesting that institutions assess students’ learning outcomes as a means of improving academic programs. This has led The Higher Education Commission (HEC) to develop methods for assessing the quality of academic program. Assessment is a systematic process of gathering, reviewing and using important quantitative and qualitative data and information from multiple and diverse sources about educational programs, for the purpose of improving student learning, and evaluating whether academic and learning standards are being met. The process culminates when assessment results are used to improve student learning. A successful assessment program includes the following:
- Purpose identification
- Outcomes identification
- Measurements and evaluation design
- Data collection
- Analysis and evaluation
- Decision-making regarding actions to be taken
Mission of Quality Enhancement Cell
Mission of quality enhancement cell at CIIT Lahore is to maintain the satisfaction of stakeholders in terms of quality education and enhance it through continuous improvement. For this purpose a mechanism is developed to self-assess different education programs being offered at CIIT Lahore. The objectives of this self-assessment process are:
- Maintain and continuously enhance academic standards +
- Enhance students’ learning
- Verify that the existing programs meet their objectives and institutional goals
- Provide feedback for quality assurance of academic programs
- Prepare the academic program for review by discipline councils
Each academic program shall undergo a self-assessment (SA) every two years (assessment cycle). The Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) is responsible for planning, coordinating and following up on the self-assessment (SA) activities. The steps of the procedure for SA are as follows:
- The QEC initiates the SA one semester prior to the end of the assessment cycle through the Vice Chancellor / Rector Office in which the program is offered. However, if the program is undergoing the SA for the first time, the department will be given one academic year for preparation.
- Upon receiving the initiation letter the department shall form a program team (PT). The PT will be responsible for preparing a self-assessment report (SAR) about the program under consideration over a period of one semester. They will be the contact group during the assessment period.
- The department shall submit the SAR to the QEC through the concerned Dean. The QEC reviews the SAR within one month to ensure that it is prepared according to the required format.
- The Vice Chancellor / Rector form a program assessment team (AT) in consultation with the QEC recommendations within one month. The AT comprises of 2-3 faculty members from within or outside the university. The AT must have at least one expert in the area of the assessed program.
- The QEC plans and schedules the AT visit period in coordination with the department that is offering the program.
- The AT conducts the assessment, submits a report and presents its findings in an exit meeting that shall be attended by the QEC, Dean and PT and faculty members.
- The QEC shall submit an executive summary on the AT findings to the Vice Chancellor / Rector.
- The Department shall prepare and submit an implementation plan to QEC based on the AT findings. The plan must include AT findings and the corrective actions to be taken, assignment of responsibility and a time frame for such actions.
- The QEC shall follow up on the implementation plan to ensure departments are adhering to the implementation plan. The academic department shall inform the QEC each time a corrective action is implemented. QEC shall review the implementation plan once a semester to assess the progress of implementation.