In order to inculcate the moral and ethical values in the students, to groom and refine the masses, to bring peace and prosperity, tolerance and harmony in the society, disciplines of Humanities have been the forerunners. The department of Humanities at COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Lahore is offering a maiden undergraduate degree program in Psychology.
Psychology is the motherload of the myriad ores of modern human sciences. Dealing with the human cognition, behaviors, and emotional growth, a psychologist has assumed a savior role in curing mental illness, depression, frustration, aggression, and violence at personal and societal levels thereby cultivating more sophisticated human personae. Degrees in Pure and Natural Sciences do not address such issues as the Human Psychology does. Therefore a degree in Psychology is in a high demand to bring peace and prosperity, tolerance and harmony in the society.
The BS Psychology program offers a wide range of the related course work focusing on:
- Human Development
- Abnormal Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Clinical Psychology
- Social psychology
- Professional Psychology
- The objective of B.S. Psychology helps students to develop an understanding of psychological theory, research skills, and psychological techniques necessary to be successful in the field.
- Psychology graduates will have knowledge of the assessment of personality, intelligence and attitudes, interviewing techniques, questionnaire design and analysis, child development, and the methods of teaching and learning.
- There is training for the general students as well as those who plan careers in health, academia and research.
Prospects of a degree in Psychology
An undergraduate degree in Psychology has the potential to unlock many doors for graduates. Options include careers in teaching, research, and health. The following job sectors are open to graduates of psychology:
- Armed Forces, Police, and Management training
- Non Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
- Industries and Organizations
- Research institutes
The degree also prepares students for advanced study in Teaching, Research and Health including Clinical, Counseling, organizational, Forensic, and Health Psychologists.
The department of Humanities offers a state-of-the–art, conducive learning environment to its students. these facilities include:
- Latest teaching/ training materials.
- Advanced audio visual facilities.
- Computer lab with high speed WIFI internet facility on the campus premises.
- A library housing thousands latest books, foreign journals and magazines.
- Access to online journals and books through digital library.
- Currently there are 25 full time faculty members in the Humanities department.
- Six faculty members hold a Ph. D degree.
- Six faculty members hold an M. Phil degree.
- Eight faculty members are enrolled in M. Phil and PhD programs in high rank universities.